December 17, 2004

Merry Christmas, my arse

Sorry for another work-related post, but nothing much else of interest is going on in my life. I'm as bland as a potato.

Through the magic of management, I ended up overseeing that our company's Christmas cards were folded, addressed, signed and sent. My assignment was initially to just sort the list of addresses and send it around, but the whole thing ended up being stuck with me. It was mostly ok though since I didn't have much other work to do.

A few days ago though, as I'm about to print address labels for the cards, I'm realizing that the number of cards we have is way short of what we need. Like hundreds short. So I contact the woman in Production who was in charge of getting the cards, and she contacts someone else, and basically no one knows where this tiny number of cards came from (or at least they're not owning up to it). In the meantime we are running out of time to get these things out before Christmas so it was madness and worry for a bit. Since we already have such a crap slogan, I propose a new slogan for our company: "The Communications Company That Can't Bloody Communicate". I have the feeling that wouldn't go over too well though.

To get some of the cards out, we printed as many labels as we could and stuck them out for people to sign. I then got regular visitors coming to ask why So-and-so doesn't have a card, and if he doesn't have a card, we shouldn't send a card to Such-and-such because they work in the same office and So-and-so will wonder why we forgot him and they'll hate us and not give us any more business. And they ask why there aren't enough cards and I say "good question." But eventually everyone accepted the situation and just signed their damn cards.

We managed to convince the printers to print us more cards, pronto, so 200 were ordered. But then I realized that still wouldn't be enough -- it turned out we'd need more like 500 more. So I had to call the Production woman and let her know that 200 isn't enough. She bitched at me, wondering why I didn't let her know that earlier, and I realized that she had sent an email about it, but I didn't really think to check her number. I felt horrible, but then she is a hardnose about things.

So on Monday, the second batch of cards should arrive and I get to fold them, label them, get people to sign them, and send them off. Well, not all on my own, but I'm responsible for it. I'll probably get less shit this time though since half the company will be on holiday.