October 3, 2005

Trips

Everything is set and booked now for us to see two Portland bands in November. First, we go to Glasgow for about 4 days to see Sleater-Kinney at the Oran Mor. We are taking two easyjet flights to get there (going via London), and then will be staying in a modern, nice-looking B&B in the West End, since the venue is there. I look forward to men in kilts, hearing the Scottish accent everywhere, and possibly trying some traditional Scottish food (yes, willingly). And oh yes, seeing Sleater-Kinney. I dreamt last night that I was playing keyboards for them and I sucked but they didn't seem to mind.

Then, about a week and a half after that, we go to Cologne for about 3 days to see the Decemberists. We'll travel in the much easier manner of going by train and stay in a cool-sounding place that had rave reviews on Trip Advisor. It looks like it has a rather modern interior design, but is housed in an old monastery and has the rather strange name of Hopper Hotel et Cetera. Not sure what the "et cetera" is supposed to mean. I look forward to sneaking through the areas of the Christmas Market that should open the same day the Decemberists play (O has refused so far these years to go to any German Christmas markets), seeing the massive cathedral, experiencing a visit to Germany for the first time, and possibly trying some traditional German food (yes, willingly. I at least want a fresh, warm pretzel). And seeing the Decemberists in a better setting. The only time I've seen them play so far was in Paradiso opening for Cake a few months back. Not only were they getting opening band treatment (hardly anyone was paying any attention to them), but I got there late, so I missed about half of what they played, plus I didn't know their songs as well at the time.

So these will likely be the last little trips we take this year, but hey, two new cities, two awesome bands, a bit of a break in the dreary fall... It'll be good.