May 14, 2006

Bloody hell

I finally, finally have finished the book I've been reading since I think the end of March, The Plot Against America by Philip Roth. It's nothing at all against the book that it took me so long to read it, it's just that it is rather dense and Roth loves his sentences that go on and on for half a paragraph, so I often would only get through a few pages a night. But it was a very good book, an alternate history where Charles Lindbergh becomes president at the beginning of World War II instead of Roosevelt and the US becomes more threatening to its Jewish citizens. It sort of alternates between the politics and this imagined other history, and the story of a Jewish family in Newark, NJ, and how having Lindbergh as president affects their world, told from the point of view of a young Philip Roth. I recommend it, though I am glad to finally move on to a new book now, especially since O keeps getting more books and the pile of things I've not read keeps growing.