August 11, 2006

Madness

The air regulations thrown into place yesterday after the news of a broken-up attack plan have left me so frustrated and angry. The way the US and UK governments are acting, you forget that the plan wasn't meant to be carried out for another few weeks. It's as if something as big as 9/11 actually happened and they need to look as if they are doing something purposeful. But how can it be of any purpose to look for the things these particular terrorists would have been using, when that plan was stopped and a new, different one will take its place? I know, I shouldn't try to understand governments. And I'm naively thinking these stupid regulations won't last long. I mean, how long are all people flying out of Britain going to be forced to carry only the essentials on board in a clear plastic bag? And no electronics of any kind, not even your bloody car key that likely has a remote lock/unlock button. Are you even allowed a book, or are you meant to stare at the back of the head in front of you for however many hours your flight is?

I saw O looking at this comic this morning, though it should be addressed to both dumbasses, Mr Bush and Mr Blair. Mr Blair is actually the one more in need of a relaxing cup of tea.

I feel glad that, for now, the US rules are actually less strong, though I am not happy of the thought of being made to get rid of any water with me since it is one of the essentials I carry with me on any trip. Once again I'm hoping, though it's probably very unlikely to happen, that this silly rule will be gone by the time we go to the US in less than 2 months. We'll see.

I hope the rest of Europe is not pressured by the UK or US to incorporate any of this bullshit. Especially since most of the flights I travel on are just within Europe. But what was a simple little flight over to the UK is now a royal pain in the ass. Will people consider a ferry or the train more often now? You don't need to arrive 3 hours early to be hassled and stripped and have all your belongings taken away from you if you go by ferry. A co-worker of mine has recently moved to a UK office, but the plan was that he'd pop over to Amsterdam once or twice a month. I hope for his sake he pushes for other travel options. There's the Eurostar. I'm sure, even going via Brussels, you'd get here quicker, and you'd get to keep your laptop during the journey.

I dunno, I've been angry and stressed and sad this week. I'm not really sure why. So this whole development didn't really help things. I just hope things can get better.