December 21, 2008

Cooking fiend

E, your husfru-ness is contagious. Or something. Friday afternoon I was consumed by this unbelievable desire to cook and bake and roast. I couldn't stop looking at recipes online (and no, it wasn't due to a grumbling stomach). Maybe it was thinking ahead to this weekend, and the longness of next weekend, and thinking of how best to utilize the time. Or how best to utilize my oven. Plus I bought a cookbook in Portland that has so many things I want to make, so I was thinking I could start on some of those, and I need to make more things involving sweet potatoes, and I could do something sort of special for Christmas, and... all I could do was plan possible menus in my head.

I've chilled out a bit now, but perhaps that is due to deciding on what to make this week. So, to share:

- Last night I made this recipe of curried lentils and sweet potatoes. I halved everything and I still had enough for a filling dinner and two containers I can take for lunch. Things I did different from the recipe was use one of those red peppers you can get here so much easier than jalepenos; I completely skipped adding the chard, or any other green; and I skipped the garnishes. Next time I will reduce the amount of curry powder I use because it came out much spicier than I expected. Still very good though.

- Tonight I'm grilling salmon with teriyaki sauce and having it with sweet potato fries.

- For Christmas, I got a chicken rollade (roulade in French-looking English?) from the Albert Heijn. It's filled with a fruit chutney and has a plum sauce to serve with it. I'll also make mashed potatoes (normal ones this time). That should last me for days.