November 5, 2008

What a feeling

I looked back at what I had written 4 years ago when Bush was re-elected. America was also apologizing to the world. Now, we all seem united in happiness, relief, and hope. Kenya is celebrating Obama as their son and declared a public holiday. Black Brits were speaking on the BBC about how this made them feel like anything was possible, even in their own country. It's wonderful to feel inspired by my home country for the first time since I've lived in Europe.

I've spent the day in a haze of reading postings on blogs, chatting with co-workers, and trying to focus occasionally on work. If it weren't for being dead tired (I didn't get much sleep last night) and feeling like a cold's coming on, I'd be a totally happy bunny. As it is, things are pretty damn good.

The black spot on the day is the anti-gay marriage measures that passed, especially the one in California. It shows how far America still has to go with regards to that issue. But I can believe more easily that it will happen; it may take quite a bit more time still, but I believe that one day denying gays the right to marriage will be seen in the same way as we think now about black segregation in the 50s and 60s.