July 19, 2009

Old photos

While I was in Paris, I went to a wonderful shop called A chacun son image which is filled with found, vintage photos. The photos came from nearly every age of photography, some from as far back as the late 1800's, and up to as recent as the 60's or 70's. Many were just family snapshots or photos of friends, people at the beach, on holiday, at family dinners. It was easy to lose yourself while browsing, getting glimpses into strangers' lives from many decades ago. Adding to the magic was the old jazz being played in the shop and the French being spoken.

Before visiting the shop, I imagined walking out of it with a handful of photos which I liked, but the prices were too steep for that. I ended up buying only two very small photos and they were pricey enough. Here are the ones I chose:

Example

Example

I recommend the shop to anyone visiting Paris. It also is on the Marché des Enfants Rouge, a lovely, small market filled mostly with stalls with prepared food to eat there from a range of cuisines, such as Moroccan, Chinese, and Carribean, as well as traditional French food.