October 27, 2009

Well, it's not bad news

I've gained back a tiny bit of hope regarding the possibility of moving to Australia via my company. I was talking with someone in HR there and she made it sound so easy and possible, but I started to worry that it might not really be so easy for me, someone who would not be looking at manager positions or IT jobs or things like that which are probably much easier to be transfered for. So I wrote her again and ask what the likelihood really is. Of course she can't predict whether it will actually work for me or not, but if I can find a role I really fit and can bring in specific experience, and if it fits a certain salary minimum, then it should be ok. So. In a few months I'll be watching the job postings like a hawk.

The minor downside in all of this is that the Australian office has a pharma division that does work similar to where I work now. This should be a big plus, it would fit my experience the best and I could maybe talk with them and discuss what unique knowledge I could bring to their office. But they have taken a hit this year when news got out that a few years ago they published some medical "journals" which were not actually peer-reviewed and were really marketing materials. So they don't have the best reputation right now and it may affect my decision to work there, or their ability to hire.