October 22, 2010

Superstitions

After spending another thrilling Friday night at the laundromat, my brain latched onto the idea of beef and broccoli in oyster sauce. I didn't quite order that, but Chinese food had to be had. When my order came (suspiciously after only 15 mins) the delivery guy, some older dude, asked me "this is house number 17, right?" I said, yeah. And he said all excitedly, "that's strange because, look, you live in house 17, your order is 17 euros, and..." (gesturing enthusiastically at the order ticket) "...the receipt is number 17!" I, um, didn't quite know what to say to that. I just laughed and said "how odd." I gave him a good tip though.

Maybe it's something in the air. It's the full moon tonight, the full moon of October. Since it's a prime number, living at number 17 has always felt a bit strange in my mind. Though it is the 22nd today and 22 is my lucky number.

(This is what you end up with when you have a mom who still to this day throws salt over her shoulder when she knocks over the shaker and who doesn't like to look at the full moon.)