August 29, 2005

Sun and stupidity

Thank you to the weather gods for creating some days of warm sunshine to finish off an otherwise crappy August (and summer). Thank you for giving me a reason to stir up a pitcher of pink lemonade from the mix I brought back from the US which I was expecting would remain sealed closed until next summer. Thank you for the warmth to prepare me for our holiday next week to Portugal. Thank you for the reminder that it's summer, even though it is soon to be ending.

On a wholly unrelated note, I hate buying sheets in the country. I never had done it until a couple of months ago when O and I were in the V&D housewares department and we thought, hey, it'd be nice to get some new sheets and a new duvet cover. The ones we have are fairly ancient, O's mom bought them way back when at some point. So we bought ones we liked and took them home where they sat for weeks before we finally dug them out to use. I opened the bottom sheet we'd bought; no problem. But then I opened the duvet cover. It seemed a bit... small. And it was. It was for a single bed. No wonder it came with only one pillowcase. But it doesn't make sense, the duvet cover was the same size as the bottom sheet. But that's not the way it works, the duvet is of course bigger cuz you need to go under it. Bah.

So we needed to get a new duvet cover again. The V&D didn't have the size we needed in the print we'd bought, but we were there a few weeks later and we found one that was rather similar and in our size. Or so we thought. This time, we bought one that was too big. Gaaaah. Ok, it was our own stupidity this time in not remembering what size duvet we have, but still. There's all these numbers of the size it fits and they're all too similar and I couldn't remember which size was ours. We're using this one anyway though, for now at least when we don't have the duvet in there cuz it's summer. O says it's better for him because he claims that I pull the covers off him all the time, so now he can stay covered, to which I say puh because if I'm always pulling the covers off him, then how come I always wake up and he has enough covers on the other side of him for another person? Exactly. Anyway, anyone want a nice, unused, single person duvet cover?