October 7, 2005

Medical talk

At work I've been pulled into a project that involves checking info in a database of drugs. I won't bore you with the details, but it's finally a project to fill some of my time with. Anyway, so most of the drugs I've checked so far are pretty boring, but then I came to one that had a more familiar name: Botox. Heh, cool. I didn't realize it was used to treat all sorts of things, like eye muscle disorders, before it became a household word referring to getting rid of wrinkles.

Of course I was trying to find the listing where it is referred to being used for wrinkles, which was a bit difficult when the descriptions are all masked in medical jargon. The way it is officially described is, "For temporary improvement in the appearance of moderate to severe glabellar lines associated with corrugator and/or procerus muscle activity in adult patients 65 or younger." Right. Glabellar lines are apparently the wrinkles between the eyebrows, and the corrugator and procerus muscles are the ones that control that part of the face. I don't know what I was expecting, something more along the lines of "stuff injected into the faces of wrinkly middle-aged rich people to make them feel better about themselves", I guess.

And I love how it's called botulinum toxin. Yay, squirt some of that into me!