December 25, 2005

So, Christmas

Though it is Christmas today, by all intents and purposes Christmas was over yesterday for O and I. Another one survived. Due to members of the family going to other gatherings today, we had our little Christmas yesterday with O's mom, brother, and his brother's girlfriend. It went well, and besides me being sleepy and tired of dealing all day with a headache that just would not die, I didn't mind too much the hours spent with my in-laws.

Some of the presents I got: a strategic game called Carcassone from O's brother, an excellent book on 100 places to visit by Yorin (or whatever it is now) Travel presenter Floortje Dessing from O's brother's girlfriend, a bread dip from Oil and Vinegar and slipper socks from O, and a popcorn maker from O's mom, which I can't imagine using, especially since O doesn't like popcorn. Oh, and the lovely knitted scarf that my college friend sent.

O got some cool things as well, like a book on cheap but good restaurants in Amsterdam, a page-a-day calendar with a recipe each day, and a subscription to a scientific/technology magazine, Quest, which I'll enjoy reading too, though it's in Dutch. Also a sort of gag gift from his brother: mouth spray that gives you an "instant Irish accent" along with "Enjoy spending time with your mother" gum. He also got a grill pan from his mom, which is a bit too bad because I bought one just a few months ago.

It made me think of the differences between how we do Christmas here and how my family did Christmas when I was growing up. We gave wishlists in my family, which takes the surprise out of things, but my family doesn't have the energy or imagination to think of what to get other people, even though they also draw names, so they don't have to buy many presents. But at least you got something you had wanted or needed. I have no need or desire for a popcorn maker, and we didn't need another grill pan, but we didn't say that of course, we just said thanks and such, and this is supposed to be the more open and blunt family. I thought how in my family everytime someone gave clothes, there was always the comment "well, if you don't like it, or it doesn't fit, I have the receipt so you can take it back." But I think that idea would be rude here, even if we explained we already have something. It's not a big deal really, I just hate having a bunch of stuff around that I don't really want, in addition to all the other things we already own and just have stuffed away in storage. Anyone for a popcorn maker?