February 10, 2006

At least it's Friday

I had a very crap morning. I had to get up about an hour earlier to go to the dentist, so my brain feels like mud. When I went into the bathroom to get ready, the light didn't come on, so I had to get ready using what feeble light reached the bathroom from the living room. On the tram on the way to the dentist, the guy behind me was humming some tuneless prayer song or something, which was pretty damn annoying. Then the dentist visit was evil. It was just a cleaning, but it was probably my least pleasant one after the first one I had here where my teeth were cleaned for the first time in about 15 years. She poked around a bit and said my gums were inflamed in one area, then decided to show me how to clean better with a toothpick, which involved her grinding the toothpick between my teeth til I was bleeding. She started the actual cleaning, but instead of reaching for the little supersonic machine thingy that blasts away the grime on your teeth, she went again for the evil metal toothpick of doom. More like toothhook of doom, that horrible tool they use to poke at your gums and scrape out stuff from between your teeth. All of the other hygenists I've had have only used that tool to poke around a bit at the start and then to get in some tight areas at the end after cleaning my teeth mostly with the supersonic thing. This woman, she only used Evil Toothhook. Bloody sadist. Using that thing makes me cringe so much. It's like nails on a chalkboard, but then in your own mouth. So it was not a happy experience, when normally I'm not too bothered about just a cleaning. There was some music playing at first, so I tried to focus on that and ignore the sounds and scraping coming from the toothhook. That song that goes "Somewhere... beyond the sea. Somewhere... waiting for me. La lalala lalalalala laaa..." came on and so I kept my mind busy thinking how it was sung in French on Lost and then thinking of the episode we watched last night, and then the song ended and... no more music. I was left with the sound of my teeth being scraped to bits, which, just thinking about it now, still makes a shiver go down my spine. When I left, the hygenist said "See you in 6 months" and it's like, no, you're not touching my teeth again. I've never had the same hygenist twice, but I think O had this woman when he went a few months ago, so maybe she's the evil person who will decide to stick around. Wonderful.