April 18, 2008

Holiday booked

After my last post where I pondered where I should go for a holiday in June, I had decided to go for a couple of days to Maastricht and then take the train to Liege and possibly rent a car from there to explore the Ardennes region. I was quickly frustrated though with the plan, mostly because there were hardly any cheap rooms to be found in Maastricht, so I was looking to spend at least 80 eur a night on a room. So I looked again at the idea of going to Mallorca, and the cost of the flight there coupled with cheap accomodation at the monastery I read about was pretty much equal to the costs of going to Maastricht and Belgium. A Mediterranean island was a much more attractive destination, so my flight to Mallorca has been booked.

In total I'll be in Mallorca for about 5 days. I'll stay for a couple of nights in Palma, the main city, and then rent a car to cross the island to stay for 3 nights at the monastery. From there I can head out in the car and explore the mountains on the north side of the island. It's supposed to be absolutely gorgeous, with some areas where the mountains drop straight down to the sea and other areas with hidden beaches. Needless to say, I can't wait.

By the way, I reread my post where I was debating where to go for a holiday, and I was incorrect to say that I'd be adding another former convent/monastery to my list of such places that I've stayed at. As far as I know, this monastery is still functioning. Or maybe there's not so many monks these days (hence the rooms they can offer visitors), but there are priests there, and pilgrims and tourists visit the church where there's a holy statue of Mary. So it's not a completely secular place, which was the case with the former convents I stayed at in Australia and New Zealand.