February 19, 2008

Will you spend your whole life in a studio apartment...

...with a cat for a wife? (Pedro the Lion, "The Longest Winter")

Goodbye Amsterdam, I will now be a Leidenaar. I found a house, and in record time, I'd say. It was only the second place I viewed, I checked it out Friday, they called me Monday morning offering it to me, and I signed the contract this morning! It is a modest little place, a studio, but it is in a lovely house and it has high ceilings and big bay windows. The whole street is lovely, full of stately-looking houses, and it'll be even better once the trees get leaves since there's trees down the middle of the street. The place itself is pretty basic (I was a bit hesitant to take a place that has no oven, but I will get a combi thing and manage to still cook and bake), but it has enough space for me and I think it'll be quite homey. The high ceilings definitely make it feel open and there is a lot of light. It is also very close to the station, so getting to work will be really easy, and though it's on the side of the station away from the centre, it's just a short walk or bike ride to get to all the shops and cafes.

I'm not sure yet when I'll actually move, though my contract begins on 1 March. It is unfurnished, so I need to be sure it is livable before I move in and that may mean taking some time to gather things that are essential. But overall I'm really happy to have found something so soon and I'll have my own little place and get to know Leiden and all of that. Moving news and photos to come...