July 31, 2009

A ticket bought

Today I purchased my first Decemberists ticket in about 2 1/2 years. I should be more thrilled about this, but I haven't been able to muster the excitement yet. The reason is that after 2 years of not visiting Europe, the band is only coming over to do 3 shows in 2 cities. Now, I am lucky in that one of those two cities is very near me, but they aren't playing a proper show of their own, they're playing as part of the Crossing Border festival in the Hague. They've played the festival before and I decided to see them in Germany rather than see their show at Crossing Border. To me, it's just not the same experience as being the headliners. Plus it's already been announced that they will be playing Hazards of Love, so I worry that in the setting of a festival, that is all they will have time to play, unlike the shows they've done in the US, and will be doing in London, where after the Hazards of Love set they do a set of older songs.

Anyway, I will be happy to see the band again and by the time the show rolls around, I'll probably be front and center grinning like a fool.