November 16, 2009

Feeling dejected

Last week I found out that a co-worker is moving to Australia. I was talking with her about her plans, of which I'm very envious. She also fell in love with the country during a working holiday and has just been biding her time in Holland with her Dutch boyfriend (whom she met on the holiday), dreaming of heading back. Her boyfriend is actually almost more eager to move back than she is. When she gets there, she'll do some extra study and get back into the area she loves. Also, they are moving to Melbourne. *sigh* I often get so frustrated with my situation that it's hard for me not to get emotional while talking about my plans. Especially when people suggest one way or another to get there, most of which are options I don't have. I know they are just trying to help, but it makes the frustration more acute.

The frustration was particularly bad last week since I came to the conclusion that I likely will not be able to move by the end of 2010 like I'd been planning. Part of that is due to financial reasons. The other part is because there are places I want to go to in Europe before I leave, plus I am getting itchy to visit home. And unfortunately the 2nd part is bad for the 1st part. So I don't think I'll even start looking for a job until late 2010, as opposed to the spring like I was going to. It's not the end of the world, and admittedly I felt relieved to push it back a bit, but I still feel like adjusting my plans is some slippery slope towards not moving at all, though I know that's silly.