November 2, 2004

Not-so-scary Halloween

My Halloween was rather lame. No parties, no dressing in a costume, no trick-or-treating, no haunted houses, no pumpkin carving. I'm determined to plan ahead better next year and actually do something for what is my favourite holiday. This year was hampered by all the move business I was busy with at the beginning of October.

Next year I hope to track down a proper, carveable pumpkin, since I love carving pumpkins, and it would look wicked sitting out on our front balcony. I'd think it'd look wicked anyway, most of the neighbours would probably wonder what the hell is wrong with the residents of the house with a glowing gourd on their balcony. Bah to them, I say.

When I was out last Wednesday with O and the in-laws for my birthday dinner with them, our table happened to have a very nice, wonderfully-shaped-for-carving pumpkin sitting next to it. I mentioned pumpkin carving, which lead into a whole lecture to O's brother and the brother's girlfriend on how it's done. It is fairly humourous describing it to people who've never done it and only know the concept from the movies and tv. Also the questions I got made me smile: "Do you cut the hole in the bottom?" "What does the inside of a pumpkin look like?" A whole few minutes were spent trying to describe what pumpkin seeds look like. So sad, to have a pumpkin-carving-less childhood...

In an attempt to remind myself that it was actually Halloween Sunday night, I suggested to O that we could watch a creepy movie. We had a look at what movies we had available and not much fell in the creepy category. The only one, really, was Secret Window, where Johnny Depp plays a writer living on his own in a cabin in the woods and he starts being hassled by a guy (played by John Turturro) accusing him of plagiarizing a story. The creepy factor was not all that high. Johnny Depp did a fair job in the role. But the ending was so cheesy, my mind is still cringing when I think about it. Overall, rather disappointing.

And to add to the disappointment, Sunday night was the first night back in standard time, so it was dark by 5:30. I've discovered that O is a little confused over the term "daylight savings time." He thought (thinks) daylight savings time is what we go into for the winter because it gets darker then, so we need to save more daylight. I sort of see that logic, but considering that when we change the clocks, the darkness moves forward, it doesn't really work. Of course he wouldn't believe me (or wouldn't admit that I was right) when I said that daylight savings was ending, not starting, so if anyone would like to point out how right I am, feel free. =)