October 20, 2004

Office with a view

I haven't posted in quite a few days, and so I return with... photos! Maybe not the most exciting photos, but rather photos from...

The Evil Office Building of Corporate Bastardness

My view

O's already posted the cool photo of my new office building's main staircase. So I shall post photos I took of various views from the building. Above is the grand view from my window. In the very foreground, looking rather square and grid-like, is a parking garage for the very tall Deloitte and Touche building next to ours. Yippee. The blue arched bit behind that in the centre of the photo is Amsterdam Sloterdijk station. I get to stare out and dream of being on the international trains that go through there on their way to Belgium and France. And beyond that are a bunch of office buildings. It's a very horrible business area. This direction also faces pretty much towards where I live, which is kind of nice/kind of a sad reminder of where I'd rather be. But I do face the window, which is great, there is always stuff to watch or at least I can just sit back and not think about work for a bit. This is the best part about the new building.

Another view

This photo looks in almost the opposite direction from the direction I face at my desk. It looks towards part of the industrial western harbour area of Amsterdam. O's office building is not too far from that big smokestack to the right. And in the bottom right corner, you'll see that our building is right next to a Mercedes garage.

Amsterdam

This photo has some horrible reflection in it, but oh well. This is sort of towards Amsterdam centre. The south side of centre. The two tall buildings in the far distance are, I think, the two tallest buildings in Amsterdam, next to the Amstel station, the one to the left being the Rembrandt Tower with the blinky light on top. And in the foreground a big glassy KPN (Dutch telecom) office building. This view is way higher since it was taken from the 23rd floor, as opposed to the level of my measly 8th floor.

Hm, I guess I haven't actually showed what the building looks like from the outside. That can be found here. Not incredibly ugly, but not incredibly inspired either. It feels weird to work there, but then a lot about work has changed, not just the location. A co-worker keeps saying our parent company is like the Borg and they're assimilating us. 'Tis true enough.