June 5, 2005

Updates

The weekend's only half over (well, ok a bit more than half since it's already Sunday afternoon) and I've already been able to check off many of the goals I had.

We painted the living room wall. It all went well and we like the colour. It's brighter and more blue than I had in mind, but it's still nice, and it mellowed as it dried. At first it seemed very aquamarine and bright, but as it dried it became less bright and gained more grayness to it. We're still trying to get used to it...

And we got the printer set up, though I forgot to steal some paper from work on Friday so we had to scavenge for some paper to test it on. We tried printing a photo and it came out really well, so maybe we'll get some photo paper to print on.

I still have my book to finish, but I read some of it yesterday, so I don't have far to go now.

A few weeks ago I posted about my lack of Google at work. An update on that: still no Google, but some head IT guy finally sent around an email letting us know what is going on with it. The gist of it was that they've not been able to make much progress because they say that Google has been unwilling to help out much with fixing the problem and Google keeps ignoring our company's emails and phone calls. Hm. I just mentioned this to O and he said that my company must have really pissed them off because his experience with Google's corporate part has been really good and they are very helpful. So, great, they hate us. The IT email mentioned some vague plans to fix things but said it could take another 2-3 weeks, which in reality will probably be more like 4-5, at the least. At the bottom of the email they then gave suggestions of other search engines to use, such as Yahoo and Altavista. Um, don't think so. Though I suppose I'd have to be using one of those if the work-around that I've been using didn't work. Someone mentioned that technically using the work-around is not allowed since it's still using Google and we're banned from them, so I guess in the back of my mind I expect it to not work for me one day, but it's still ok after more than a month.