September 15, 2005

Sick and tired

O and I are both home sick today. It's been a long time since he's had a cold, and I don't think we've ever been sick at the same time.

We were rudely awoken this morning just before 8 to the sounds of a chainsaw cutting down trees in a neighbour's backyard. Not fun when you're sick and trying to sleep awhile. We both managed to get back to sleep even though chainsaw kept going sporadically for a couple of hours. And it's sad, the trees that were cut down. This neighbour had little Amsterdam backyard full of rather tall evergreens, which is pretty unique. It was like a mini forest. I totally wished I could have it and sleep in a tent under there when it was warm and forget that I was even in a city. But now it's all gone and we can see neighbours we never could before. I wish they had left just one, I don't know why all of them had to be cut down. Actually, at least one was cut, I'm pretty sure, while we were gone to the US. We came back and I felt one was missing and the neighbour had built a little pond in the corner of the yard with a bloody fountain that runs 24/7 and either makes you feel the extra need to pee or makes you think it's raining. I wonder if, now that all the trees are gone, some major landscaping will take place, and if so, I just have this suspicion that gnomes will be involved.