February 15, 2006

Vlad and Sara

Last night I was watching a show on the BBC called The Hairy Bikers. I had never heard of it and just came across it while flicking through the channels. It's a food/cooking show actually. Two guys who are, um, hairy bikers travel around on their motorcycles and then cook up some local cuisine. They were funny as hell and O and I had a good time making fun of their northern England accents.

So in this episode, they were in Romania and of course they visited Transylvania and the castle that once was occupied by Vlad the Impaler, the inspiration for Bram Stoker's Dracula. As they talk about Vlad, my thoughts turn to my college friend, Sara, as they do, because I cannot hear about Vlad without thinking of Sara. This is because Sara had a sort of fascination for the legend of Vlad the Impaler, and at least once gave a presentation in a class about him. And before you get the wrong picture, Sara is not a tall goth girl with raven black hair. She's the furthest thing from a goth. But she loved the story of Vlad and would share trivia about him at whatever chance she could. Kind of worrisome, now that I think about, especially the enthousiasm with which she would share the stories of death and impalement. But now I'm watching this show and I hear about Vlad and a few minutes later I'm missing Sara deeply. The strange connections we develop...