August 31, 2006

More day off

I forgot to mention that yesterday I also visited an awesome cooking shop on the Ferdinand Bolstraat called Duikelman. Actually I'd been there once before in search of a good stew pot. They do have quite a lot of high-end, expensive stuff, but they also have a lot of stuff in general, so it's a good place to go to find something you haven't been able to find anywhere else (you just may not be able to afford it once you do find it).

After checking out the cookie sheets (which were all too big to fit in my puny oven), I found a corner of the store filled with cooking and baking stuff. I was probably back there for a good 20 minutes oohing and aahing at the selection. There were cake pans in all sorts of shapes and sizes, including an official Betty Crocker brand that was a normal US 9" round cake pan (and not that expensive). There were cookie cutters in many shapes and sizes. There was stuff for candies as well, like little papers to hold bonbons. The best thing, for me, was the American-like selection of decorations for cakes and cookies, like various sprinkles, cinnamon red-hots, stuff to make frosting, and even the same food colouring my parents would use to colour the frosting of the cakes they'd make for me and my brother when we were kids. It was awesome to find that stuff over here. It stirred a baking bone within me. Now if only my kitchen had the space for more stuff and my oven could hold two cake pans at the same time, I'd be happy.