September 4, 2006

Another mystery solved

Bless the internet. I was reading The Vine column on Tomato Nation and someone was asking the readers for help to find a book they remember reading as a kid, but they had no clue what the title was or who the author was. I was just about to email Sars with my own question about a book I've tried to track down for years, but then I thought I'd better Google it first. Sure enough, on a site called Ask MetaFilter, someone else had asked about the same book I was trying to find. It's called The Girl Who Owned a City and it was read to my class by the school librarian when I was in 5th grade or so. I quite liked the story (obviously, since it's stuck with me for almost 20 years) and I actually meant to get ahold of it back when I was still a kid because the school year finished before we could finish the book, so I never got to find out the ending. But now I know what it is called, and I can even order it from bol.com for only 7 euros, which I may just do. Or I may wait to buy it at Powell's in Portland where I can get a used version for as cheap as $2.50.