September 1, 2006

Stupid, stupid, stupid

I am home again, off work sick because of an incredibly dumb little accident I had in the early hours of the morning during which I really injured my left little toe, which sounds even dumber, but it still really hurts and it's hard to walk.

What I did was I was heading to the toilet at about 5 am and I was half asleep and out of it, my eyes only half open, and on my way across the bedroom to the bathroom I sort of lost my balance and stumbled sideways, catching my little toe on the drying rack holding our laundry, and then stumbling more and falling on the floor. At first I thought I just stubbed it really bad, but when I went back to bed the pain wasn't subsiding, so I was out on the couch for awhile with ice on my foot, wondering what to do. The doctor's office wouldn't be open for another 3 hours, but I didn't want to go to the emergency room for something so stupid. Fortunately the pain went away to the point where it didn't hurt if I didn't move my foot and I was able to get some sleep eventually.

I ended up calling in sick to work because I wasn't able to get a doctor appointment until after noon and I wasn't sure what would happen with that, so I thought it'd be best to just take the day off. The doctor didn't do much except PULL MY TOE. TWICE. Which, you can imagine, really fucking hurt. Then she called in another doctor to have a feel and check it out, and by this time I'm sitting there with my hands to my mouth, cringing and tense already, waiting for him to have a tug as well, but luckily he mostly just looked at it and asked questions and then said there's not much I can do but keep it from moving much. So the first doctor wrapped some tape on the side of my foot, said it should be better in a week or two, and recommended that I take some paracetemol. Bah. I don't think there is really much else I can do, like she said putting a cast on doesn't work with your toes, and I wasn't really expecting that, I just want to know it'll be ok.

So now I walk around at about one-third speed, which takes like three times the energy. Now I know what being old is like, taking ages to get anywhere. Such a stupid thing to do...