March 3, 2007

The Decemberists - Paradiso, 21 February

I'm a bit late with this, but that's how things go these days.

I don't think I've ever gone to a gig with so many people I knew: two co-workers, a few friends, friends of friends... It made me nervous, I felt all responsible for them getting there ok, and of course for enjoying the show, and while I was pretty sure the show would be fine, great even, I couldn't quite guarantee that. So I would say beforehand to people something non-committal, like "I'm pretty sure it'll be a brilliant show" or "I think it'll be fun." My worst nightmare was that the band would have an off night, not talk much and not be that energetic, and everyone who I'd convinced to come would wonder why I thought they were so great. In the end though it was fine and the Decemberists gave another memorable performance.

The setlist:

Crane Wife 3
Island
We Both Go Down Together
Engine Driver
Billy Liar
Yankee Bayonet
Shankill Butchers
O Valencia
16 Military Wives
Crane Wife 1
Sons and Daughters

Hello Amsterdam, a cover of a song by the American Music Club
Red Right Ankle
Cautionary Song

Cautionary Song this time included a reenactment of a Dutch victory over the British at sea, the battle of Chatham Harbour, apparently. Lisa's group out in the crowd was supposed to be a chain built in the water to catch ships. And John's group was the English and Chris' group was the Dutch and they had to try to break through the chain... It was very silly, but a lot of fun to watch.

Some parts about the show that still make me smile: Colin looking down at his feet after The Island and going "Oh. I seem to have rocked my shoelace untied." =) To which there were cheers and then a jazzy jam was started up as he bent over to retie his shoe, but he said "A little jazz number is not needed while I tie my shoe." John and Jenny carried on anyway into some other song.

John asked for and received a shot of whiskey. Considering his madness, I'm not sure it was needed.

John trying to get off stage at the beginning of Red Right Ankle, but he couldn't find the gap in the curtain to let him out. I dunno, the picture of it in my mind still cracks me up, him desperately clawing at the curtain like a blind man to find the way out.

I had hoped a rumour was true that the band would be playing in Portland in May and it would coincide with my visit there, but I talked to Chris a bit after the show and he said they aren't playing in Portland until July. I would so love to see them playing in Portland, or anyone really, I haven't gone to a gig there since I moved here, which is way too long. If they play Europe again at the end of 2007, I will miss them then too. Perhaps they will decide instead to finally tour in Australia and I can catch them there.