January 10, 2007

Look at me go

Only 10 days into the year and I've already finished a whole book. That's lightning quick for me these days. Amsterdam was pretty good, I like Ian McEwan's writing style very much (however much of it is his), but the ending seemed rather staged and set-up. It felt like it maybe should have been a short story rather than a novel.

In a strange move, though one I may try to do more this year, I've decided to read a book I've already read. Usually I'm dying to move on to the next book waiting for me in my growing pile, but this time, perhaps feeling optimistic over finishing a book so quickly, I chose to reread something. So up next is The Golden Compass, which is a book I love very much, reason number one to reread it, but also a film version is meant to come out this year and I felt like reading the book again before seeing the film (and likely being very disappointed by it, but you never know). I have other old books I want to read again, but it was not hard to choose this one first.