January 2, 2007

Missed and caught

I went this holiday period without having any oliebollen. I just kinda forgot to get some and then it was New Year's and I missed having some and now all the gebakkramen are gone. I don't love oliebollen (I like appelbeignets much more and at least I had some of those this year, though they were just from the Albert Heijn), but they're a Dutch thing that I can enjoy and they're seasonal, so I like having some in their season. But I missed getting some this year. Kind of like I almost missed getting a bag of pepernoten before Sinterklaas. What makes me sadder about not having any oliebollen this year is that I'll be in Australia over the holidays next year, so I'll miss them again. Unless I find some nutters making oliebollen down there in the middle of summer, which isn't totally out of the question because there are a lot of Dutch people in Australia.

A day or two after Christmas, O finally saw his Canon spot air on MTV. He was getting very peeved that so many people had seen it except for him. His mom happened to catch it after we left on Christmas. Even his hoity-toity aunt apparently saw it, though god only knows what she was doing watching MTV. She seemed a bit confused anyway because she said that O was the one with long hair, wearing a green shirt, which sounds more like the guy who was the lead singer of the band. Who looks nothing like O. Then again, we don't see her that often, she likely still thinks that O has long hair and just thought that was him then.

After he finally saw the film on TV himself, he realized how much it had been bugging him that he hadn't seen it yet. He was really relieved, more than he thought he'd be. And thankfully we can stop watching MTV so much now, cuz... gah. By the way, Canon UK have a site up now about this series of The Shot films. The idea behind the films is described as: "Accomplished photographers share a photograph and the story behind it. The passion for photography combined with brilliant photographic abilities make for remarkable photographs" (made with Canon cameras, natch). O's film is noted as being "exlusive" (sic) to MTV, which is pretty cool, though it makes sense because it has to do with music. The other 3 films from this series can be viewed there as well.