March 22, 2007

Looking forward

Next week I plan to take Wednesday off and go out and enjoy what is forecast to be lovely spring weather. Today I spent my morning pondering what I should do with the day off. I'd love to go to the Hoge Veluwe, but it takes so long to get there without a car, and also I'm not sure if O will be taking the day off as well (plus he's getting sick now, so may not be well by then) and it's something I'd rather do together. So then I thought I could rent a bike and ride around the tulip fields, though I'm not 100% sure if the flowers are in bloom yet. It's possible, since it's been so mild this year (minus Monday when it snowed). But then I was thinking that I'm not in the best shape and I've not started to bike yet this year, so my idea of biking from Leiden out to the fields may leave me dead before I've even left the city. But I found out that there's a bike rental next to the Keukenhof which also sells maps of various rides for the area, starting at a reasonable 5 km. So I can bus out to the middle of the fields, saving me biking there myself, get a bike, and pedal around a bit until my legs or bum fall off.

Next month I should be able to order the mp3 player I've decided on getting. I was all decided on the player by Sandisk, but then O came across the Vibez and, after checking out reviews online, I've changed my mind. It looks a bit chunky, but in photos of it in someone's hand it's not, and it sounds like I'll like the menu system and extras it has. I could do with a cheaper 4 GB version, but the price it's at isn't totally out of my range. I just need to wait for my large April paycheck to get it. I think I'll just wait though til early April and pay with my credit card so that I can have it for awhile before going to the US in May (and just because I'm impatient). I'll let you know how I like it.