July 25, 2008

Buying and selling

I'm quite proud of myself, I have recently sold something and bought something via Marktplaats and I stuck to Dutch the whole way through the transactions. Ok, there was an email or two where I asked a native speaker for some help, but most of the time I was on my own. I find it so difficult to write in Dutch though, I mean, I do it way less often than speaking, and I don't do that incredibly often. But with typing, my English keeps taking over. I think it correctly in my head, but my hands do what they're used to. So "ik" becomes "i", and "voor" becomes "for". Very frustrating.

So, it's rather silly, but the thing I bought is a VCR, heh. The reason I got a VCR is that I'd like to bring back the videos I have sitting in the US. So I found a used VCR on Marktplaats and arrranged to pick it up last night. I headed over to the address... to find that it was a tattoo parlour. Well, actually, I first tried ringing the bell of the house above the tattoo parlour before deciding, no, the address I needed was not the house upstairs. So I stepped into the tattoo parlour to find a line of people waiting at the counter. I have a look around the shop and see it's definitely not my kind of tattoo place, it's the type of place where you pick your design out of a book from typical things like old-fashioned sailor-style tattoos or tribal designs or Chinese characters. The shop also does piercings, so there was a display of hoops and studs. But then there were cases with things I was not expecting to see: fireworks. Not the big, professional things you can only buy for a few days at the end of the year, but "party fireworks" like sparklers. I didn't know you could get things like that throughout the year. So it was a tattoo/piercing/fireworks shop. With a line of people. It was all rather strange.

Anyway, I got the VCR and lugged it home and now I have my doubts as to whether it will play US format tapes. I dug around online for nearly an hour trying to find more details about this model of VCR, and only the details listed by someone selling it on a website in Romania gave me hope that it can play US tapes. And I don't have any US tapes with me to be able to try it out, but I may be able to get some. If it doesn't work, I suppose I can always try reselling it on Marktplaats...