June 15, 2008

Goodbye Get

Today was the last day for my favourite Dutch record store, Get Records. I'm not sure how long they've been around, though I know they've been around longer than I've lived here. So I popped in for their closing-day do, which wasn't as much of a party as I expected (not that they should be happy to be closing, but there was the promise of DJs and bands and getting drunk, and I didn't really see any of those things).

The first thing I saw as I approached the shop was the "For Rent" sign on the front window. Damn. The back end of the shop was emptied out of all the CDs, just the empty racks were left back there. The only stock left was all out at the front and even then the bins were pretty empty. The new CDs were grouped together and slightly discounted, then there were a bunch of CDs they were selling off at 5 eur a piece. I made off with 3 I found worthy enough to buy:



My last purchase at Get: a CD of Southern American gospel, a CD of interviews with Kurt Cobain and songs by some of his favourite bands, and a used copy of Hazel, Toreador of Love, which has a thank-you list that is a brilliant snapshot of Portland bands circa 1993.


I do feel a bit guilty since I can't exactly say that I have been supporting Get or other record stores as much as I would like. It is just so much easier and cheaper to buy online. One of my favourite record stores in Portland has closed as well, the NW Music Millennium branch, because they couldn't afford the rising rent. I didn't get to say goodbye to them though, I was last there in October 2006, and it's very sad that they aren't around to visit anymore. All a sign of the times I suppose.