August 5, 2009

Fall getaway

I told myself that I wasn't going to travel much this year in order to save up some money, and I was doing pretty well, but the travel itch got too strong and now I've planned a 10-day holiday to Croatia in September.

Planning this trip was different from most trips I've done in Europe in that I won't be staying in one city for most of the time, I'll be moving around the country quite a bit, so a lot of logistics were involved. Making all the plans reminded me of planning out my trips in Australia and New Zealand though, so it felt good to do that again. For better or for worse, I'll even be staying in hostels again, though this time I've granted myself the luxury of only taking single rooms, no dorm beds. Croatia also has an abundance of people offering rooms in private houses, so I booked some of that type of accommodation as well. Overall, the average I am spending per night is around 30 eur, which is pretty reasonable. Less reasonable is the cost of renting a car, but I'll only be renting one for a couple of days to get to a more remote area.

My general itinerary is that after spending time in Dubrovnik (it'll probably not be enough time, unfortunately) I'll head up the coast to Split and then take a ferry out to the island of Vis. I'll spend 3 nights there, so it's a fair bit of time to explore the island or just relax, depending on what I feel like. Then I ferry back to Split, pick up the rental car, and drive to the area near Plitvice Lakes, a beautiful national park containing the lakes, waterfalls, and forest where I'll have a full day to hike in the park.

Hopefully it will be a good little extension of the summer, spending time on Adriatic beaches and getting some sun. Croatians sound very friendly and helpful, I can already see that in the emails I've received from the places where I've booked a room in a private house, I feel like I can't wait to meet these people and stay with them. I'm looking forward to another little adventure.