November 30, 2009

Epic weekend of FOOOD

So I got to have Thanksgiving after all. E took pity on me and asked her friends who were having a Thanksgiving dinner if I could come along. They fortunately let me join them and it was a wonderful time. The hosts were really cool and it was great to meet a whole bunch of new people. Funfunfun. The FOOOOD: a proper, whole turkey, baked in their big oven, the usual sides: cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, carrots, stuffing, gravy, roast potatoes and pumpkin.... Total feast. And pumpkin and pecan pies for dessert. My first ever pecan pie. 'Twas yum. The DRINK: coffee with Kahlua, champagne with Disaronno-soaked mandarin pieces, Hemel op Aarde liqueur, homemade cherry liqueur.... I missed out on the white russians, unfortunately, but I had my first ever Bloody Mary. I wasn't so keen on it, maybe because I don't really like tomato juice.

That was Saturday, then yesterday a group of us went to the Christmas market in Cologne. We shuffled through 3 of the markets which got cozier as night fell and the lights came on. It was cheery. I didn't really buy any gifts, I mostly just bought FOOOD, like 2 servings of Käsespätzle, potato pancakes with applesauce (delicious greasy/crispy goodness), apfelstrudel, and boozy eggnog with whipped cream. I didn't manage to fit in a bratwurst. Perhaps that is for the best. We all fell asleep on the train home.

Dinner tonight is gonna be so lame. I think I need to make potato pancakes soon.