April 9, 2010

A couple of comments on Stockholm

I spent Easter weekend in Stockholm, my first true foray into Scandinavia. I loved the city: the water, the hills, the colorful buildings, the food. There are a lot of similarities that can be drawn between Sweden and Holland, though I found people in Stockholm to be friendlier than in Amsterdam. But the languages are similar, some of the food is the same (a love of herring for one), and, on arriving in Stockholm in the evening, I noticed that the Swedes also have an aversion to using curtains, if only to subtly show off the cozy interiors of their houses with just-like-the-Dutch low lighting.

I'm going through my photos and will hopefully get them and further details about my trip online soon. One story about the trip home though: when I checked in, I was asked if I would mind taking a later flight because mine was overbooked. As compensation, I would get 150 eur in KLM vouchers, or 75 eur cash. I decided to take the offer, which would have put me on a flight 3 hours later, unless there ended up being spots on my flight afterall. By the time I got through security though I was somewhat regretting the decision because I was feeling exhausted and a headache was growing, so I had my fingers crossed that there'd be space on the plane. When my flight was boarding and I was called to the desk to be given the compensation vouchers by a KLM woman, I was resigning myself to the fact that I'd have to hang around the airport for another 3 hours. But then they handed me my original boarding pass and pointed for me to join the line boarding the plane. I was so tired that I didn't get it at first: I got to go home on my original flight and I got the vouchers. Sweet! So it was win-win.