January 20, 2005

About the scariest holiday movie ever

I have not yet seen The Polar Express, but from what I've heard about it, I think I'll stay well away from it. But I just came across this post where an animation guy discusses what went wrong with the film and provides some Photoshopped screenshots to show how with just a little tweaking of the eyebrows and some shadowing, the child doesn't have to look like something that is going to give you nightmares. If this guy can take the time to make it look proper, you'd think the people being paid to make the movie would have taken the time as well.

Speaking of children that could give you nightmares, O and I were walking to the train station in Haarlem last Saturday night and we passed a house that still had the curtains open, so we both peeked inside as we passed. There was an old guy on a couch watching tv, and this small, skinny figure sitting in a chair at the end of the couch. My mind for a split second thought it was his wife, a tiny, starved woman, but then I saw it was a large doll, or perhaps a ventriloquist dummy. And man, that thing was scary. It seriously looked like Chucky. There was a second doll too, but I didn't really see what it looked like in the short time it took us to walk by. I imagine the grandkids don't enjoy visiting there too often.