February 2, 2005

Running with Scissors

I just finished reading Running with Scissors, by Augusten Burroughs, yesterday after some marathon reading while I was sick the past few days. I wanted to say that I highly recommend it, so go out, find it and read it. I wasn't too impressed by his novel, Sellevision, so I kinda waited awhile on reading this, even though O said it was good. The book is a memoir of his childhood years of living with his mom's psychiatrist's family and dealing with his mom's occasional mental meltdown. It does remind me a lot of David Sedaris (the insanity of families, growing up gay, etc), but it's probably even more crazy. At the center, though, there is a heart. We also have Dry, his book telling about giving up alcohol, but I'll read it after one or two other books. I hope it's as good.