March 27, 2005

Quasi, Nighttown, Rotterdam, 26 Mar 2005

At least I got a chocolate rabbit
Biggest one I ever had
You never know til you've bitten off their head
That they're hollow and the chocolate's bad

-- Quasi, "Chocolate Rabbit"
Ah, lovely Easter-related sentiments from Quasi. I am partly quoting them because the above is fitting for Easter, and partly because today represents a break between my two nights of seeing Quasi live, finally, after too many years.

So last night, first show up, was seeing them in Nighttown in Rotterdam, which I'd never seen a band in. Steven kindly arranged guest list spots and prize tickets so that the 4 of us (including his girlfriend) all got in for free. O and I stood right at the front, in front of Sam, which was perfect for O to take photos (which I'll link to when the time is right). The stage there was so damn high though, about up to my chin. Anyway, Sam and Janet soon came out and promptly launched into a mess of drum and keyboard noise, Sam occasionally playing his keyboard with his knee. The noise soon morphed into the unmistakable introduction to "Our Happiness is Guaranteed". Fuck yeah, it be Quasi in all their greatness.

I unfortunately forgot to take my notepad with me in order to write down the setlist. But they played for about 45 minutes, and played quite a few new songs that I'm sure will show up on their new album that is meant to be out this fall. One was called Piece/Peace? of Love. Another featured the line "Merry Christmas and Happy New Year." Quite a few of them rocked, and I couldn't keep my eyes off of Janet's drumming. She's the best. As for old songs, besides the aforementioned "Happiness is Guaranteed", they played "Sword of God", "Mama Tried", "Good Times" and "Sea Shanty". That last one was part of an awesome three-song medley (one new song bookended by two old songs, I just don't remember what it was they started with) that Sam played on guitar.

Watching them was totally fantastic, as short as it seemed to be. They really put their all into playing, as if they have no other choice. Janet drums so hard she needed a fan to the side of her drumkit to cool her off. Sam of course throws himself into his keyboard and sings so loud his veins pop out and his voice cracks. He goes a bit insane at times, like when he was shaking a tambourine at the beginning of "Good Times" and he was not only banging the tambourine on his hands and the case of the keyboard, but also often on his head. And it did it unflinchingly, like a footballer heading the ball. Because you just do.

Monday, Melkweg, show two. I will take my notepad this time. O will again have his camera (I think). I can't wait.