June 17, 2005

Mail order review

Due to convenience and the price of CDs here, I've lately been buying CDs online directly from the record label. I feel sort of bad about it, especially since I love Get Records in Amsterdam so much and really want to give them my business. But when CDs are usually close to 20 euros (though lately when I've gone into Get, the prices were overall cheaper than I expected; many more CDs were around 15 euros) and when Get feels like a pain to travel to compared to being able to buy a CD online while I'm at work, I'm afraid the online option is just too attractive. So, I've purchased 4 CDs online somewhat recently, and it's been interesting seeing the level of customer detail each record label has offered. Because another bonus to ordering online is that the CD usually comes with some extra goodies, like stickers or buttons. It's just nice to get something extra thrown in. So I thought I'd give an overview of what I received from each label, and give an overall happiness score on a scale of 1-5.

Record label: Magic Marker Records
CD I purchased: A House Full of Friends (compilation of mostly NW bands)
Price I paid: $17 ($12 for a 2 CD compliation, plus $5 international shipping)
Extras thrown in: A Magic Marker button and a handwritten thank-you note from one of the label owners on a piece of paper that had bizarre children's poetry on it.
I already wrote once before about when I received this CD in the mail and how happy I was with it. Ok, it didn't have as many extras included as some of the other CDs I bought, but still, the little note enclosed was sweet and I felt like they were genuinely happy to get my order. Plus it arrived in about 4 days, which was insane.
Happiness score: 5

Record label: Saddle Creek Records
CD I purchased: Bright Eyes - I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning
Price I paid: $14 ($11 for CD, plus $3 international shipping) (By the way, Saddle Creek has a UK-based store for their CDs and it's touted as being better for orders from Europe, but the price was much higher, with the CD alone being 10 pounds. I'd stick with ordering from the US store.)
Extras thrown in: Handwritten thank-you note, Bright Eyes sticker
Happiness score: 3

Record label: Kill Rock Stars
CD I purchased: The Decemberists - Picaresque
Price I paid: $18 ($11 for CD, plus $7 international shipping)
Extras thrown in: They shoved in whatever they could fit into that envelope!: A Decemberists postcard, a handful of Picaresque stickers, a handful of KRS stickers, and a Picaresque poster. All the goodies made the slightly higher price I paid worth it.
Also, I think I pre-ordered this CD, which is another bonus of ordering from the record label. It just automatically comes to you as soon as the album is released.
Happiness score: 4

Record label: Sub Pop
CD I purchased: Sleater-Kinney - The Woods
Price I paid: $18 ($13 for CD , plus $5 international shipping)
Extras thrown in: One Sub Pop sticker ("That's it?" *shakes envelope upside down*)
Happiness score: 2

So yeah, Sub Pop was very disappointing. I'd probably stick with going to Get if I were buying another Sub Pop CD. Otherwise, I'd definitely order again from the other labels.