June 19, 2006

Fingers crossed

Today I offically started the process of putting together an application for a permanent residence permit. I've been here long enough now (5 years) that I can get one, though my current permit is good until next February. But since the IND will likely take months to give me a decision, let alone a new card, I thought I'd better start now. So step one was to give a form to my employer which they have to fill in saying how much I work, what type of contract I have, and how much I earn. It doesn't have to be the first step, but I thought since it relies on other people, I'd better get that going. I should get it back this week though. We've decided it's best if I send in one for O as well (especially since my residency is based on my partnership with him), but he has less faith in his HR, so I hope they don't take too long to return it. But this is just the beginning. I also need to get new passport photos taken, get a paper from the gemeente showing I'm registered, photocopy every page of my passport, copy the work contracts for both me and O, copy each of our last 3 payslips, and, oh yeah, fill out the actual application for the permit. At least no birth certificates or anything that has to be apostilled is needed again. I plan to be able to send the application within a month, and truly, I may not have the new permit by the end of the year.