June 17, 2006

Lately

I'm getting a bit burnt out on football, not that I watch every minute of every game, but I watch enough. I'll kind of be glad when the first round is done at least and I gain some time back in the evenings. There's stuff we planned to watch once the series we watch were over for the summer, and then the football started, so we haven't gotten to anything. One thing I planned to watch though was the rest of Six Feet Under, but O's computer crashed this week and he lost all the episodes he'd downloaded (he got other files back though, including his photos). I can't remember though what was the last part I saw.

One break from watching football came Thursday night when we went to see a Boom Chicago comedian at a place called Sugar Factory. O's signed on to take photos of events for them, and this was his first one. The comedian was Greg Shapiro and his show was aimed at people like me, since Shapiro is American but married to a Dutch woman and, even after 15 years or so of living here, he is still trying to make sense of this country. The jabs at the Dutch were about what you'd expect - topics covered included integration (or the term he used, which is more accurate: "assimilation"), home births, riding bikes, Dutch "cuisine" of fries and kroket, and the madness of just trying to do your grocery shopping - but he covered them in a funny and at times silly way, so it was quite a good show. One of O's photos is used on the news page of the venue, but they should put up a whole gallery at some point, I think.

Speaking of O's photos, a few months ago Touch and Go Records contacted O to ask if they could use some of his Quasi photos on their page for the band. Now, finally, they're up and even have proper acknowledgement! To see them, go here, click on the Photos tab near the middle of the screen and then go to any of the last 5 photos.

Sadly, another ant in our Antworks has died. What is particularly sad (and scary) about this death is that we came home and found ant bits strewn around the tunnels of the box. The head and some legs were up on the surface while another section of the body was lying further down in the tunnels. So the ants seem to have gone a bit vicious. None of the others have died this way, fortunately, but for some reason they turned on this one ant. Very weird.

On Thursday, before we went to see Greg Shapiro, we had an extra half hour because O had the wrong time for the doors opening, so I convinced him to look at shoes with me so I wouldn't have to do it in the weekend. And I ended up getting some Onitsuka Tigers which I quite like. I got this type though the colour I got isn't listed. Mine are black with dark purple stripes. Yum. Now I just hope they're quite comfy for a lot of walking, since that's what I need, a sneaker I can walk a lot in when on vacation or just in town awhile or whatever...