May 18, 2008

Driving and videos

I just booked the final portion needed for my Mallorca trip, my rental car. This will be my first time driving in Europe and I'm a bit nervous, probably more nervous than I was with driving on the left for the first time. Observations like these don't help.

The part of Mallorca I'll probably spend most of my time in is very mountainous, thus the roads are very narrow and twisty. I read about one village in particular that is on the sea and can only be reached by a road that makes this insane descent consisting of one hairpin turn after another. I found this video on YouTube of someone going down this road on a bike, which almost seems safer than doing it by car. Yes folks, that is meant to be a two-lane road. Thank goodness I'm meant to get some tiny, Ford Ka-like car for driving around the island.

On a complete different note, I was checking out a page I had put in my bookmarks ages ago that had various old films from Portland. This one was probably my favourite, though it's not so much about Portland, but about the quaint times of the 1930s when not everyone had electricity but everyone wanted it because of the time-saving things it could bring to ordinary lives.