August 23, 2008

The shame, the shame

So the big hubbub in the US lately seems to be the call from some college presidents asking for the drinking age to be lowered from 21 to 18 to help combat underage binge drinking. Of course after years of living in Europe, the idea of not being able to legally drink until you are 21 seems a bit quaint now, but then the US is very much a hand-holding country.

I had read the story Thursday, just before leaving work, and then I was ranting about the US's old-fashioned ways to a colleague. A few hours later, I checked my email and I had a short note from my brother. He was letting me know that a letter to the editor he had written had been published in The Oregonian, and it just so happened that the letter was on the topic of changing the drinking age. Before I had even finished reading his (short) email, I already knew what side of the fence my brother was on. The language of his letter only made me cringe more. Oh well, what's the fun in having a sibling you don't clash with?...