December 13, 2009

How I spent my Sunday

I baked a cookie or two:



The chocolate ones took forever because I couldn't put too many on the tray and they had to cool a bit before I could take them off the tray and I only have one cookie sheet so I had to wait before putting more in the oven. Oh well, they are so good, so it was worth it.

Food consumed so far today (as of 8:30 pm): two bowls of cereal and a lot of cookies. That can't be good.

As I baked, I listened to a lot of music though, which I've been doing entirely too little of lately. I caught up on some mixes from a friend and listened to some Quasi. I also listened to Eels' Electro-Shock Blues, which I've been wanting to do over the past few days because I'm reading E's memoir and I'm at the part where he talks about recording that album. I was also trying to get into the holiday spirit by listening to some Christmas songs recorded by a guy I know in Portland. Some of the songs reminded me of the Christmas album I must have heard hundreds of times growing up, The Perry Como Christmas Album, which we had on 8-track, which meant that it would keep playing until someone stopped it, so it would often play 2-3 times in an afternoon. I still consider his renditions the gold standard for some of those songs. Of course I had to go and try to download it, which was a bit hard, but I got most of the songs. It brings back good memories of the times when my parents still had the energy for Christmas and there were decorations all over the house and lights outside, and a big tree, and we opened our presents in this little area of the house where my mom would set up her collection of those ceramic houses that are lit from the inside. I'm also trying to get some of the old Christmas movies that I loved watching every year, like Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer and the Charlie Brown Christmas.