April 20, 2010

Crisis tourist

On the way home from work yesterday, I decided to pop off the train at Schiphol and check out the atmosphere there. I didn't have my camera with me, but you can imagine the images anyway: empty arrival/departures screens, cleared out check-in desks, people sleeping on window ledges. There was a clump of people around the KLM ticket counters and a rather calm feeling. There seemed to be an actual exchange of information from the KLM employees there, which is in contrast to the stories I just read on the BBC website about British people stranded in various parts of the world. But maybe they were just having a chat with the people there. It at least didn't look like the travellers wanted to kill the airline employees.

On the arrivals level, I saw that there was luggage lying on the floor around each baggage belt. I wondered who all those suitcases belonged to and how long they'd be sitting there. Also, I saw a man who was maybe a taxi driver or coach driver holding up a sign like they normally do when picking up specific passengers. But instead of someone's last name being on the sign, it said "Spain 19:00". I later saw him wandering through the shopping area, I guess trying to collect anyone interested in getting to Spain.

Not that I can relate to the people who have been stranded here for days, but I was thinking of all airports to get stuck in Schiphol would probably be one of the best. On either side of immigration control, you'd have enough eating options, places to sit, and a few things to keep you entertained. If you're not airside, Amsterdam isn't that far so you can easily pop into the city (if you feel it's ok to leave for awhile) and get out of the mindset of the situation for a bit of time. I'm almost sad that Schiphol is my home airport since I never get to take advantage of what it has to offer. Unlike when I was facing a possible 3 hour wait in Stockholm in a wing of the airport with few food options, a dire shortage of chairs, and there was not-too-expensive internet, but the terminals were stupidly put on raised tables so you'd have to stand to use it.

With flights going again I feel a bit of relief, but I know we aren't fully in the clear yet. I've been wishing with all my heart that E and A get here as planned on Friday, and that I make it fine to my friend's wedding in a couple of weeks, and then to the US on schedule in June. itwillgofine itwillgofine itwillgofine...