April 15, 2010

Stockholm videos

Slowly working on my Stockholm stuff... Here are a couple of videos to provide a mild bit of entertainment.

This video is incredibly unexciting to watch, but it's the sound to pay attention to. One evening I was wandering around the little island of Gamla Stan, which is where I was fortunate enough to be staying, and I thought I'd get out of the mess of winding, cobbled streets and go check out the waterfront. As I got nearer to the water, I was horrified to find out that what might have been a lovely, quiet setting along the water was ruined by the absolute racket of thousands of seagulls that had come in for the evening.




Slightly more pleasing to the ear (well, it depends on your taste, but I like it), I present some traditional Swedish music played on funky violin-like instruments. I looked it up online and it is apparently a nyckelharpa, an instrument that is related to the hurdy-gurdy (which I just have to mention because its name is so cool). This was a duo playing at Skansen, an open-air museum, on Easter. The people at Skansen also dress traditionally. That, plus the little fire in the corner, made it easy to feel like you were back in the 19th century.