April 8, 2005

Chocolate French toast

Since I like to cook, I thought I'd share a recipe every once in awhile of something I made and quite liked. Maybe someone else would try it and like it too. I'll start with a recipe I've made twice now, the last time being last weekend: Chocolate French toast. It is a little rich for breakfast (not to mention adding rum to the topping), so it's nice for midday on a weekend.

Serves 4-6

50g dark chocolate
2/3 cup milk
1 egg
4 teaspoons seedless raspberry jam
2 tablespoons rum
8 thick slices white bread (I used French brioche from Bolletje that I found in our store's bakery)
butter for shallow frying

Break the chocolate into small pieces and place in a small pan with the milk. Heat gently, stirring until the chocolate melts. Leave to cool slightly.

Heat the raspberry jam gently and stir in the rum. Set aside and keep warm.

Beat the egg in a large mixing bowl and whisk in the warm chocolate milk.

Dip each slice of bread briefly into the chocolate mixture. Heat the butter or oil in a frying pan and shallow-fry the bread for 2-3 minutes until just crispy, turning once.

Serve with the hot jam sauce.