April 19, 2007

Plans for May

The Decemberists will be touring Europe again in the fall and people have been plucking planned concert dates from sources on the internet. I checked Paradiso's website, and yes, the band will be playing there September 22. I won't be in Amsterdam then, though, but O will get to go and enjoy it without me. I'm very unhappy to be missing out on the show, especially since it seems that now that they're not touring to support The Crane Wife, it's a free-for-all regarding what songs they'll play.

But I found out some news yesterday that partly makes up for not being able to see them in September. Willamette Week reported that author Daniel Handler is coming to Portland next month to promote a book of his, and he will be joined at this event by Decemberists lead singer Colin Meloy. Happily, this will take place on May 20, when I am in Portland. Finally, some good timing!

Technically, I have plans to get together with my extended family that day, but I am determined to not let that get in my way of going to the book event. It should be fine actually if it takes place in the evening; my family usually all packs up and goes home around 5 or 6. And the location is quite lucky as well. It's at Powell's Books, but not the main downtown location, it's out in Beaverton, only a few miles away from my uncle's house where my family's getting together. So I'm excited, though I don't even really know what to expect. I'll just be happy to see Colin in person. And O won't be there, so that sort of makes us even.

As for other things keeping me busy while I'm in the US, I'm planning to go on Portland Walking Tour's underground tour with some friends, which I think will be fun. I'll likely go for a day to the coast with my parents, though I'm kind of dreading this, especially with my Alzheimer's-y dad yelling about everything. I'll finally go to a concert, Ben Gibbard solo at the Roseland. And when I can I will tackle my ever-increasing shopping list, including likely going on a trip to the mall, which sounds horrendous, but I think I could get a lot done under one roof. Anyway, it's not as jam-packed as the last trip, so that's good, and I hope to spend more time downtown than we did in October.