August 23, 2008

Drive through the country

I was looking up the new address of a friend in Portland on Google Maps and I discovered that one of the Street View cameras went out nearly to my parents' house, so I can almost recreate the drive home from here. And it was a beautiful cloudless day when they took the street shots. It sort of ties to the thoughts I had the other day where I realized that if I had moved here 15, or even 10, years ago, I would probably be homesick a lot more than I am. But with all you can find on the internet, I can keep up with the news, look at people's photos, find my parents' house on satellite photos, and now see views from the road as if I were there. I can easily immerse myself and forget where I actually am. It's not quite the same as being there, but I'll take what I can.